Mental wellbeing is a critical component of overall health and is essential for young people as they navigate the challenges of adolescence and young adulthood.
Here are some tips for maintaining good mental wellbeing as a young person.
- Engage in open communication: Talk about your feelings and experiences. When your friends open up to you about their feelings, listening without judgment and validating their emotions will help them feel heard and understood and create a safe and supportive environment.
- Make connections with others: Social connections are essential for mental wellbeing. As a young person, you should connect with others by joining a club or team, engaging in sports, volunteering, or simply spending time with friends and family.
Good mental wellbeing for young people requires creating a supportive environment, fostering connections, encouraging healthy habits, providing education, and promoting mindfulness. By prioritising mental wellbeing, young people can develop the resilience and coping skills to navigate life’s challenges.
- Engage in healthy habits: Physical health and mental wellbeing are closely linked. Regular exercise, eating a balanced diet, and getting enough sleep improves mental wellbeing.
- Seek education: Improving your knowledge about mental health and the importance of seeking help is essential for good mental wellbeing. It will help you understand the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues, such as anxiety and depression, and provide resources for accessing support. Click here to access Jika Adolescent Hub’s directory for organisations that deliver mental health support across Nigeria.
- Creating a supportive environment: Creating a supportive environment can help you and your friends feel safe and cared for. This can include creating positive and inclusive school or community groups, sharing mental health resources and support services, and reducing stigma around mental health issues.
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness practices, such as meditation and deep breathing, can help you manage stress and anxiety and improve your overall mental wellbeing.
- Seek professional support: It is essential to seek professional support if you are struggling with your mental health. Speak with a trusted adult, such as a teacher or counsellor, or seek support from a mental health professional. Click here to access Jika Adolescent Hub’s directory for organisations that deliver mental health support across Nigeria.